Friday, 21 July 2017

Baking With Littles: Apple Roses


Apple Roses started circulating on social media years ago, but they immediately struck me as too time consuming. Don't even ask me why, as I finally made some the other weekend and they were ridiculously simple. 

First, as always, I suggest doing a bulk of the prep work before you even advise your kiddo(s) that it's time to bake. It makes everything run so much smoother, trust me.

Thaw 2-3 sheets of puff pastry. Then,core and cut 2 apples in half and start slicing them very thin (I suggest Red Delicious, as the red skin makes the finish product appear more like a rose, but I used Granny Smith). You could use a mandolin, but I used a very sharp knife and worked slowly.

Place the apply slices in a bowl of water with 1tsp of lemon juice as you go.

Next, microwave the apples for 1-2 minutes, just until they are soft enough that you can bend them without them breaking. We need them pliable for creating the "rose petals" without being mushy.

Next, melt 2 tbsp of butter and mix with equal parts brown sugar. Add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste. Then, have your little one help you spread it across your thawed puff pastry sheet.

This part gets messy. That's ok.You know why I'm smiling here and everything is still clean? Because I'm doing a photo shoot, that's why. Normally, you can see my nose kind of scrunched up as butter and sugar are flung about. My expression quickly melts into a smile when Selene takes a peek at me so I don't break her spirits, and then I go right back to a horrified nose scrunch. Completely normal. Let them make their mess and you make your mom face while they do it, but don't interrupt them. Let them be kids. 


Next, have your little one help you, very carefully, slice the puff pasty into four even strips. This part is easy for them to help with, as it's one even stroke per strip.They need to be thick enough to fold in half, because that's exactly what we will be doing with them.


You want to take your apple slices and overlap them, with the rounded edge peeking out of the puff pastry, from one side of a pastry strip to the other. Then, fold the pastry in half and slowly, carefully roll the apples and pastry in a clockwise motion until they have circled around. Voila! Apple rose!

Pop them in a greased muffin tin and   Bake at 375°F (190°C) for about 40-45 minutes.





 
Bon appetit!



Fun fact: I've been studying French on the train on my way to work every morning. I've been excelling, and thought I really must have a knack for learning languages... until I actually found the time to repeat the words aloud. Apparently I alone have the power to make French sound entirely un-romantic. Yay me.

Thanks for reading!

xo, Miss Betty Doll
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig