Wednesday, 31 May 2017

Baking With Littles: Unicorn Milkshakes

As a girl who grew up reading fantasy novels about fairies and elves and all things unicorn, the unicorn craze that's swept the internet of late has been especially fun for me! Selene is equally imaginative, so when I told her we were making unicorn milkshakes, she gasped and squealed so loud she scared Aurora.

I've seen different versions of these floating around the cute little cafes of Melbourne, but I knew recreating one from home would both be economical, and save Selene a tummy ache. You see, by making it from home, you can control the ingredients that go into it, and make it (semi) healthy.

For this recipe, I chose to make a blueberry shake with real fruit, and kept the sugar to a minimum (in the shake, at least!).


The decorative options are endless. You can add different cereals (if you live in the sugar cereal capital of the world, also known as the US, you can have some serious fun with this one). You can dip  the rim of the glass in white chocolate and add popping candy, crushed lollies, sprinkles - anything!

To decorate the top, you can cut giant marshmallows in half and use them as "unicorn ears", with a stick lollipop for the "horn". You can even make a unicorn horn out of fondant by twisting two long strings of fondant together until they form a horn.

For me, I needed to keep things semi-simple, as I had little Aurora running around dumping things out and pulling things down. (Ah, life with a one year old...) So I made my little ice cream cone unicorn horns the night before, and set the ingredients out so Selene could have at it! I guided her, of course, but she did a good job if I do say so myself.









For the "milkshake"
1 cup of frozen blueberries
1/2 cup vanilla ice cream
1/4 cup milk

For a more traditional milkshake, you can have a little fun with it.

Traditional Milkshake
2 cups vanilla ice cream
1/4 cup milk

For either recipe, simply blend until smooth, for about 20 seconds. For a traditional milkshake, you can add toasted marshmallows, different syrups, chocolate, bubblebum flavoring - anything that tickles your fancy, really. I kept things simple with my shake, because I knew I'd be doing bigger, prettier versions for photos, and I didn't want a sick toddler on my hands from sugar overload.

For the decorations, I used:
Marshmallows from Lucky Charms Cereal
Stick Lollipop
Rock Candy on a Stick
Rainbow Sour Straps
Loose Rock Candy
Lilac Chocolate Pearls


As I said the possibilities for these are endless, and you don't need to use as many ingredients as I did to make it special. Next time, I will make these for both of the girls without any ice cream at all, and with the rim of a much smaller glass, dipped in chocolate and sprinkles, and maybe some rainbow marshmallows on top. It's a great way to give little ones a treat while getting them to drink something healthy for dessert - it doesn't have to be all about the sugar!


On a different topic - I've been getting occasional comments and messages with specific requests, like hairstyles and shoe posts! I actually have a couple, found here for hairstyles and here for shoes. It got me thinking, are there any particular posts you would like to see? I know there are about a million other blogs out there with clothing reviews, and I am always happy to take on requests and put something special together!

Thanks for reading!

xo, Miss Betty Doll





Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig